The Burial Church of Santa Maria is one of the most precious sacred buildings in the Canton of Graubünden. It contains valuable 13th century mediaeval frescoes with high-quality Byzantine-Romanesque fragments and an informative Lombardian cycle dating from 1495. After an extension was made in 1495, the church was completely repainted, covering up the old frescoes. On the west wall and tower, a Maria Magdalena cycle consisting of 18 frescoes was uncovered between 1962 and 1976. The Church of Sta. Maria – now the Pontresina funeral chapel – is owned by the political community of Pontresina. Services are also held here. The little church is also very popular for marriage ceremonies, attracting couples from around the world.