The old bridge known as Punt ota can be found directly under the new Bernina stream bridge, which connects the village to the railway station. The old bridge bears the following inscription (translated from German): "In the year 1710, Flurin P Tumaesch and Alesch Frauntz, Heads of the Local Council, et seq".
The bridge ist therefore around 300 years old and is still used by pedestrians. Historians do not agree on the history of Pontresina and the origin of its name. It is uncertain whether the bridge builder was called Saraschin. There is also speculation as to whether the name Puntraschina or Pontresina was then derived from the name Punt (bridge) Saraschina after dropping some syllables.