In August 1894 the Segantini family settled in Maloja, moving into the Chalet Kuoni. This had been built by Alexander Kuoni from Chur, engineer with the Gotthardbahn-Gesellschaft, the company that built the Gotthard railway. In 1897, Giovanni Segantini had a round wooden structure built behind the house – what would become known as the Segantini Atelier – by a joiner from Soglio called Torriani. This rotunda was in fact a one-tenth scale model for a monumental pavilion planned for the Paris world fair in 1900, intended to house an enormous panoramic painting of the Engadin by Segantini. The smaller pavilion was used by the artist as a library. He hardly ever painted there, as he produced most of his canvases in the open air.
The rotunda houses an exhibition with photographs, original documents and other texts entitled “Segantini’s last Engadin journey”. This authentic and atmospheric site, and the exhibition it contains, fittingly throws light on the life and work of the celebrated symbolist painter, who powerfully revitalised the tradition of Alpine painting during his years in Maloja and the Engadin (1894-1899).