As part of the marathon week and as a replacement for the night sprint, St. Moritz is organising the 1st St. Moritz Supersprint together with the Engadin Skimarathon. Also taking part is Petter Northug, the former cross-country skiing star.
Who will be the fastest sprinter during ski marathon week? On Friday March 6, 2020, we shall find out. Then up to 200 cross-country skiers tackle the 100 metres between the Kempinski Grand Hotel des Bains and the Ovaverva indoor swimming pool in St. Moritz Bad. All skiers, ranging from amateur to elite, can compete against each other in the knockout system. The participants include former Norwegian champion Petter Northug, who for years dominated cross-country skiing alongside Dario Cologna. The illuminated 100-metre course ends in a covered finish area with grandstand, refreshments bar and music. Spectators have free access to fully enjoy this attractive new format. Qualifying heats start at 16:00, the final heats at about 6 pm. The prize money at stake is very worthwhile.
- Date: Friday, 6th of March 2020
- Start times: Prologue from 4 to 5pm, finals from 6 to 7.15 pm, followed by the award ceremony with prize distribution in the finish area
- Route: Moritz Bad, between Ovaverva indoor swimming pool and Kempinski Grand Hotel des Bains
- Competition: 100m sprint (free technique)
- Format: Prologue for everyone, the best 32 men and 14 women qualify for the KO round. The best 26 men and 12 women according to FIS sprint points are seeded. 6 young athletes qualify for the Youth Sprint on Wednesday 4 March 2020 in Samedan. KO system: woman against woman (32 tableau), man against man (64 tableau).
- Eligibility: Hobby runners to elite athletes. The number of participants for the prologue is limited to 200 athletes
- Minimum age: From 2005 onwards, one category
- Starting number distribution: From 3pm at the 100m start, we ask all runners to arrive 15 minutes before the respective slot at the starting area
- Registration: Until 6th of March 2020 at 12.00 online over www.engadin-skimarathon.ch/1-st-moritz-supersprint. 3 to 3.45pm directly at the start.
- Entry fee: Until 6 March 2020 at noon free of charge, on site CHF 5.-, provided that there are free places available