Like many of the villages and hamlets in our high valley, the development of La Punt Chamues-ch can be traced back to the lively business activities of the Bishop of Chur. When Konrad I of Biberegg acquired lands from Zuoz to Silvaplana in the 1930s, a building and settlement boom soon set in. The village (La Punt) Chamues-ch previously belonged to the Counts of Gammertingen and passed to the Bishopric of Chur in 1137. Its location at the entrance to the high valley led to Bishop Volkhard of Chur having Guardaval Castle built above Madulain in 1250. A bailiff resided there on behalf of the bishop.
In the 16th century, the chronicler Duri Campell recounts a tale of liberation: a hundred years ago, a tyrannical, shameless bailiff demanded that young women be brought to him. He also coveted the daughter of Adam da Chamues-ch. The latter agreed to the demand in pretence. But when he handed her over, he stabbed the bailiff with his sword and his companions stormed the castle. The whole area was thus freed from an intolerable rule.
Around 1440, the bridgehead over the Inn to the hamlet of La Punt was established and the two villages became the two districts of La Punt and Chamues-ch. La Punt (Rhaeto-Romanic: the bridge) grew in particular with the lively trade activity over the Albula Pass and became a trading centre. Stately patrician houses of the wealthy merchant families (Albertini and Pirani) were built here and have been preserved to this day. Chamues-ch mainly served as a settlement area for farmers. However, almost all of the beautiful old and massive farmhouses in this part of the village were only built after 1499, as the inhabitants burnt down their wooden houses themselves during the Swabian War in order to force the advancing enemy to retreat.
La Punt's history as an important tourist resort began in 1861 with the construction of the Hotel Albula. Shortly before the turn of the 20th century, several inns were already flourishing, including the "Krone", which today is one of the most stylish hotels in the Upper Engadin.